Pages

Entertaining Kids while in Temporary Housing

My original intent while in temporary housing was to have all kinds of activities that would mentally stimulate the kiddos' minds.  Electronics would be restricted for the majority of the day and the children would work on something that was challenging, but not so much so that it would interrupt my reading and coffee time.   The different things we tried were:

Writing exercises
Reading
Coloring
Make Attempt knotting friendship bracelets
Kiddo friendly yoga
Puzzling
Baking

Looks good, right?  Well, all of those things involved calm concentration and it just wasn't happening.  The kids would attempt the tasks but it came with a million questions (sometimes the same one over. and over. and over. again.)  It ended up with me throwing my hands in the air and saying, "Park time!" or their favorite "Just turn on the tv..."
Who is this guy?  Does he even have kids!? 


...The tv...  Even though I'm not fond of kids having too much tv time I have to admit it's the best babysitter ever.  (Don't judge me!  Don't you dare judge me!) That half hour  two hours of peace and quiet in a room is like heaven.   I can gain back all the sanity and confidence that I lost in the time that I was trying (and failing) to be the perfect parent. 

What I'm saying every afternoon.
I'm throwing mommy guilt to the wind while in temporary housing, so what the kids get more television time than usual.  The bright side to that is lots of cuddles on the couch. <3

No comments :

Post a Comment