Pages

Waimano Valley


On top of this being the first year of SAHM life I've had in around seven years, it's also one of the first summers I actually have my kids.  Back on the mainland the ladies would typically spend half the summer with my parents than then the other half with Ticklebug's family.  It was an arrangement that was loved by everyone.  Ticklebug and I had time together and the grandparents had grandbaby time.  Since tickets to fly back to the East Coast can be around $1,000 a pop it was obviously not in this year's plan.

I don't know if the girls are enjoying being home with me for the summer because I just can't chill out.  I can't stand the idea of the tv being on all the time or either of them constantly being on an electronic device.  Every week I'm talking with Wifey and Mimi about something we can do with the kids to get them out.  You would think that the beach is always an option because it's Hawaii, but with so many ladies it's hard to coordinate due to "shark week" or as Bug calls it "Satan's Waterfall."  I've pretty much settled on the idea that I'll be doing short hikes every week.  This week we ventured to Waimano Valley.

My All Trails app told me that the hike would only be 2.2 miles and is considered kiddo friendly.  To make things even better, Waimano Valley is relatively close to base which is great because there is no fighting Hawaii traffic.  For the most part the hike was easy and enjoyable.  It's a loop trail where hikers can start either at the higher or lower level and then finish on the other.  We opted to start at the lower.  There were a few instances where the hiking became steep and we were all breathing hard but nothing to the point where kids complained.  I think the only person who was mildly annoyed was Wifey and that's because she doesn't like the outdoors at all.


My favorite part about the hike was the stream that's at the lower trail.


We took a short break there to take some pictures and have the kids toss a few rocks in.  The only negative aspect was that there were TONS of mosquitoes because there is standing water in some areas.  Wifey had originally opted not to spray herself down with my cancer causing chemicals but changed her mind when they started treating her like an all you can eat buffet.

The kid's favorite part of the hike was getting to walk through the two little caves.  I attempted to walk with them but said, "NOPE!" when I saw how small and dark it was.  I scare easily.


All in all I think it was a good trip.  When I asked my kids about it this is what they had to say

Monster: "It's a death trail."  (She fell twice.  Once due to running and the other due to tripping on roots.)

Bug: "It was fun!"

Random Stats:

Number of hikers: 3 adults and 3 kids

Miles hiked according to my iWatch: 2.53 miles

Time to complete the hike: 1 hour 31 minutes

Additional hikers seen: 2

Total number of falls: 3

Total of mosquito bites:  So far, none have made an appearance.  Thank you, cancer causing chemicals!


No comments :

Post a Comment