Pages

Spring Break 2017 - Puu O Hulu Kai Hike


After Monday's beach day I was texting with the mestie (male best friend), Jexi, about how we should do something since he's on leave.  After an hour of indecisiveness it was settled that we would take on the Puu O Hulu Kai hike in Waianae.

Puu O Hulu Kai hike is also known as the Pink Pill Box hike because one of the pill boxes was/is painted pink for breast cancer awareness. 
via
If you look online you'll see that there are mixed feelings about the pink pill box.  Some love that it represents strength and hope for those battling breast cancer along with honoring those lost to the disease.  On the other hand, some say that it is disgraceful to paint over the historical bunkers.  My personal opinion is that every pill box I've seen in Hawaii has been graffiti-ed and unless there are plans to remove all graffiti from every bunker then keep it pink.

I'm glad that Jexi looked up the details on where to go because I would have gotten lost.  It's off the main road and the beginning of the trail isn't marked.  It's also not as popular as the other trails so we didn't see a line of hikers walking towards it to guide us.  However, a kind local that was jogging by told us to keep to the left of the trail.  Going right would result in a much longer and steeper route.

So, every time I go on a hike I use the All Trails app.  It helps to ensure that we are staying on the trail and other hikers can give pointers.  All Trails said it was an easy hike.  I want to call shenanigans!  It was a steep hike!  I'm sure that the only reason it's ranked as easy is because the whole trip is less than 2 miles.  Had it been longer it I'm positive it would have been ranked moderate. 


Because the hike was so steep and a tad challenging Monster was being, well a Monster.  She's not much for hiking anyway but the difficulty and the heat made it even more unappealing to her.  The tall grass may have also contributed to her feeling lousy because of asthma.  Even with all her drama the hike was still beautiful and interesting.






When we reached the pillboxes at the top I was a bit confused because there was no pink pillbox.  Upon closer look we could see that the black pill box was previously pink.  You could tell because whoever had done the painting had FAIL taped off so that it showed up in bright pink.

Jexi on top of the previously pink pill box.


 I said earlier that all the pill boxes have graffiti on them.  I wasn't kidding.


This beauty caused Jexi to enter the pillbox and laugh while continuously saying over and over "Hashtag Big Dick Bandit."  As if that weren't enough Jexi's 11 year old son walked up to the penis above Big Dick Bandit and asked, "Why did someone draw hair on balls?  I don't have hair on my balls!"  That made me laugh.  It made me laugh soooooooo hard!

Despite the black pill box and the graffiti on all the others the views were still absolutely beautiful. 



I completely intend to take on this hike again, hopefully soon while the pink paint is still fresh and dicks haven't been graffiti-ed on it.

No comments :

Post a Comment