Pages

Military Housing

It was an unspoken agreement between Ticklebug and I that we would live in base housing while we were stationed in Hawaii. In the three years we've been together this will be the third time we've used base housing.  I'm just going to be a brat and say that this is the worst military housing we've ever been in.

The layout is awful.  It would be fine if the bathroom wasn't randomly put in the middle of the downstairs.  It makes the downstairs like a circle.  If the bathroom had been put in a corner then it could have been a somewhat open concept. 

All the toilets have issues.  Downstairs to make a complete flush you have to push down on the handle twice.  For all the toilets if you don't lift up the handle the toilet continues to run.  If I were a jerk I would just leave it running to say a big "eff you" to housing, since we don't pay a water bill, but I sadly care about the environment.  I have to constantly tell everyone (including my husband) to make sure the handle is down. 

Thankfully, there are things that I'm able to fix up.  For instance a nasty cream tone was the standard color throughout the house.  It gave off a really dreary feeling.  I fixed that thee night before we got our household goods.


1. Is our entry wall.  The color is a pretty blue.
2. The color on the right is more of a white/blue/gray tint.
3. Blue cocktails are what motivated me to get the painting done in just a few hours.  Since we didn't have our household goods I improvised and used a coffee cup. 

The kitchen has/had a random open empty nook.  It may have once been for a refrigerator, but yea, it's nothing now.  Since storage is nonexistent we converted it into a pantry (there isn't even a pantry!).



So glad Ticklebug took care of this.  It may not be much but at least it's something!

To make it feel more like home I've taken on some small home decorating projects.  I don't decorate so this is a big thing for me.  One of the first things I fixed was the ugly oven back drop.


Just some contact paper from Wal-Mart (yes, there is Wal-Mart in Hawaii.)  I actually fixed the backdrop after the picture was taken.  I extended the paper so that it went past the oven.

The serious lack of storage has forced us to downsize a lot.  We've honestly gotten rid of about 30 bags of things.  The majority of things are random times, old clothes, and bedding.  There is just no room.  It was a little heartbreaking to let go a few things because I'm a sentimental fool (maybe a little bit of a hoarder) but it was done.  I'm expecting around ten more bags to go before I'm completely satisfied. 

Even though I'm complaining hard core about this house I will have to admit that it's worth being here because of the awesome school the girls get to go to.  The teachers have been willing to work with them and give them extra attention to catch up.  Also, I'm willing to make some sacrifices to live in paradise. :) I hope to be spending a lot of time exploring, adventuring, and having so much fun that I will just be happy to have a home to come home to. :) <3 


No comments :

Post a Comment