Pages

Coffee Festival at the Kakaako Farmer's Market


Saturday morning Ticklebug, S, the little ladies and I woke up at the butt crack of dawn venture to the Kakaako Farmer's Market in downtown Honolulu to attend the 3rd annual Hawaiian Coffee Festival.

The festival consisted of around ten different coffee vendors, tucked between two buildings and covered with a tent (possibly due to the rain).  All the vendors had coffee related products that were for sale but sadly not all provided samples.  I personally don't understand why coffee vendors wouldn't provide coffee samples at a coffee festival.  It would have been such an easy way to promote products.

Providing samples for a dollar would have at least enticed people to be more interested, especially if there is something different about the coffee.  For example, the Kakako Kitchen table charged a dollar to test their coffee. 


We were all very willing to pay to try this unique little shot of happiness.  The cold shot of coffee was infused with nitrogen and gives the feeling of being jolted awake.  A feeling that I gladly welcomed at 9am.

One vendor didn't provide drinking coffee samples but had a table set up for people to test their soaps and scrubs.  I appreciated this because it gave something for my ladies to try out.  They thought it was fun but weren't thrilled to smell like coffee.


The festival ran from 8 - 12 with a guest chef providing samples that contained coffee as an ingredient every hour.  We were there for the first hour with Chef Bob McGee and whatever pork thing he made was delicious and so pretty.  S and I were going through the line and I told her, "I don't think I've ever seen meat presented so pretty."  Chef McGee got a laugh out of that. 


Although I wasn't thrilled with the festival I did enjoy walking around the farmer's market.  It was neat to see all the local food and items that are produced on the island. 


These little mermaid dolls were totally adorable!  The woman that makes them runs has her own doll shop.  Adorable!

I don't know if I'll return for the coffee festival next year, but I do think that I'll be returning for the market itself.  What better way to support local development than to eat locally. :)


No comments :

Post a Comment